Imagine being able to replace your lost tooth, not with removable dentures, but with an implant that looks and feels just like a normal, secure tooth. With dental implants from your Easley dentist, you can accomplish this. This procedure has become a popular option in dental reconstruction, with over a half a million implants placed every year in the U.S. With their natural appearance and strong fit, dental implants can be your answer to repairing your smile.
Advantages of dental implants include:
- A secure, comfortable fit that looks and feels natural, without the slipping of normal dentures
- No other adjacent teeth have to be ground down or disturbed to hold an implant in place
- You can talk and eat normally without the inconvenience
- You will no longer feel self-conscious about missing teeth
During the implant process:
- Your jaw bone area just below your gums is fitted with metal posts.
- Once in position, the dental implants are mounted securely on these posts, giving you the look and feel of a brand new tooth!
- Not only will your self-esteem improve, but your oral health will as well.
Contact Dental Care on East Main at 864-859-4111 to learn more about our dental implant options.
Many people who are missing a single tooth opt for a fixed bridge; but a bridge may require the cutting down of healthy, adjacent teeth that may or may not need to be restored in the future. Then there is the additional cost of possibly having to replace the bridge once, twice or more over the course of a lifetime. Studies show that within five to seven years there is a failure rate of up to 30% in teeth located next to a fixed bridge or removable partial denture.
Consider this; replacing a single missing tooth with an implant involves only one tooth. However, replacing that single tooth with a bridge would involve three teeth.Read more about Implant: Crowns
Over time conventional dentures may contribute to the loss of bone in the area where teeth are missing. But, since bone is maintained by the presence of natural teeth or implants, denture implants can actually help preserve the jawbone.
When a tooth is missing, the bone may erode and weaken until the jawbone can no longer support a conventional lower denture. Placements of implants prevent further bone loss and allow for excellent function. The implants will serve as a stable support that tightly locks into your replacement teeth and dentures to prevent slipping and bone loss.Read more about Implant: Dentures
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
With the exception of growing children, dental implants are the solution of choice for people of all ages, even those with the following health concerns:
- Existing Medical Conditions If you can have routine dental treatment, you can generally have an implant placed. While precautions are advisable for certain conditions, patients with such chronic diseases as high blood pressure and diabetes are usually successful candidates for dental implant treatment.
- Gum Disease or Problem Teeth.
- Currently Wearing Partials or Dentures Implants can replace removable bridges or dentures, or they can be used to stabilize and secure the denture, making it much more comfortable.
- Smokers. Although smoking significantly lowers the success rate of implants, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of getting them. Cessation of smoking is imperative if you are to have implants placed. You must quit smoking for good if you are to be a successful implant candidate.
- Bone Loss. Bone loss is not uncommon for people who have lost teeth or had periodontal disease. If you have significant bone loss Dr. Holsen will refer you to an Oral and maxillofacial surgeon or Periodontist, who has been trained and is experienced in grafting bone to safely and permanently secure the implant.
Implant tooth replacement in children is usually deferred until their jaw growth is complete. There are, however, some instances when a dental implant may be appropriate, such as when it is part of the child's orthodontic treatment plan. Dr. Holsen or your orthodontist can guide you in this instance.
Call Dental Care on East Main today at 864-859-4111 to schedule your dental implant consultation or second-opinion visit. Our office is located in Easley, and we serve patients from Easley, Clemson, Seneca, the Greenville Area and Upstate with clinical excellence and sensational customer service.